[DeTomaso] NPC: Maserati Kyalami - Rebadged/Repowered Longchamp?

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 12:28:32 EST 2021

Mike,

Yup! When De Tomaso bought Maserati he needed to come up with new models to bring to market, on the cheap.

He turned to Pietro Frua to style a new car, which would be powered by the quad-cam Maserati V8 but be built on the unmodified Lomgchamp chassis. So for a fraction of the investment normally needed to produce a new car, Maserati soon had an all-new model.

In a similar manner, he needed to bring a new Quattroporte to market, so he had Guigiaro pencil a new body design that would be laid atop an unmodified Deauville chassis.

Today, owners of Longchamps and Deauvilles often turn to Maserati parts suppliers for mechanical components to keep their cars running.

Fun fact:  Tom Tjaarda and his wife lived in a very nice apartment that they bought from Pietro Frua, which was formerly his home. Small world indeed!

Mike

Sent from my iPad