[DeTomaso] Gr4 Pantera at Le Mans video

Gray Gregory rgg at gregorycook.com
Mon Feb 1 17:54:47 EST 2021

Bill,

Lemans is a huge track and the traffic gets spread out pretty quick. The cars he passed were all small bore cars that he passed on the long straights. I suspect many of them got back by him in the twistier bits and the repasses were just edited out. The video was not continuous footage or even spliced together to show a complete lap of the track.
When I raced there in 2016 I was in that same group (group 5). I think there were close to 70 cars entered that year and I suspect a similar number in 2018 when this video was shot. So what you saw in this video was just small snippets of what would have been a 45min race.

The head light buckets were up because race started near dusk and ended in the dark. You never want to take a chance on your headlights not working when you hit the switch on track so you always turn them on before the start just to be safe.

Gray