[DeTomaso] One overlooked Pantera sale

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Thu Aug 19 11:48:36 EDT 2021

Our worst purchase was a "race-ready," "Ez-wider" ex-Howdy Holmes, Lola
T324 Formula Super Vee.  We could tell it wasn't race-ready, but not being
able to drive it and with no recent videos, we were left with our visual
inspection at the auction.  The engine alone was worth $9K, and we were
able to verify that it was indeed "the" ex-Howdy Holmes SV that been
modified to run in Formula Atlantic later in the 70's.  All the parts were
there, and it drove on to the auction block.  We decided to bid on it,
since we were doing more vintage racing and it would be a good class/car
for Tony to drive - plus it would easily fit in our rig as a 3rd car to
take to the races.

Bidding stalled with us as high bidder at $15,000, and then right before
the hammer dropped, some drunk fool decided to jump in and outbid us, and
another impaired fool (me) decided I wasn't going to let that happen.  We
ended at $26,000, and with auction fees/taxes, it cost me over $30,000 to
buy that car.  We got it back to the race shop, and the tub was a
disaster.  It had not been drilled out, bonded, and riveted in decades -
but in fact all the parts were there and the engine ran well.  Many hours
of work later, we had the tub apart, but, we are a very very long way from
having it done.

Anyway, when we are finally - years from now -- completely done restoring
the car and get a few races under its belt, it may be worth $25,000, if we
are lucky.  Our investment will be well north of $50,000, not including
shop labor.

That result is not the end of the world, but it will be the last car we buy
at one of the "Scottsdale Auctions" -- which is a shame, because we like
the events and car watching, but have a history of getting caught up in the
moment.  So, I just have to stay away.

Regards,

Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
*The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
Direct: 480-442-0297

www.PatentIt.com <http://www.patentit.com/>

*Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

*Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM MICHAEL DREW <mikeldrew at aol.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> You are not alone. A guy arguably let his judgement be impaired by free
> auction booze and bought a modified original GT5-S for $319k plus
> commission. A few years later Covid kicked his financial butt and he had to
> sell it.  It took almost a year to sell and he struggled to get $180k for
> it.
>
> Mike
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 18, 2021, at 15:56, Steve Lisa <stevelisa at patentit.com> wrote:
>

> I have mostly crappy results (some alcohol-induced) buying cars at the
> major auction houses.  I think the exception is Bring A Trailer, which
> draws comments and history for the cars from those that know it.
>
> I have committed to stop drinking at auctions..... to help prevent further
> mistakes.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
> *The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
> Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
> Direct: 480-442-0297
>
> www.PatentIt.com <http://www.patentit.com/>
>
> *Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
> East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
>
> *Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
> Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
> This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
> confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
> error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.
>

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 1:50 PM Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>    Mike,
>>
>>    Now that is a theory that I wholly concur with! Having paid out the
>>    owner his reserve after their inept 'modifications' they had no
>>    sellers' fees, no buyers commission and every reason to help the car
>>    get as high as possible. I'm betting it will turn up in a future
>>    auction having now established a fictitious perceived value that will
>>    help it ultimately sell for more than it would without that
>>    intervention.
>>
>>    Julian
>>      __________________________________________________________________

-------------- next part --------------
   Our worst purchase was a "race-ready," "Ez-wider" ex-Howdy Holmes, Lola
   T324 Formula Super Vee.A  We could tell it wasn't race-ready, but not
   being able to drive it and with no recent videos, we were left with our
   visual inspection at the auction.A  The engine alone was worth $9K, and
   we were able to verify that it was indeed "the" ex-Howdy Holmes SV that
   been modified to run in Formula Atlantic later in the 70's.A  All the
   parts were there, and it drove on to the auction block.A  We decided to
   bid on it, since we were doing more vintage racing and it would be a
   good class/car for Tony to drive - plus it would easily fit in our rig
   as a 3rd car to take to the races.A
   Bidding stalled with us as high bidder at $15,000, and then right
   before the hammer dropped, some drunk fool decided to jump in and
   outbid us, and another impaired fool (me) decided I wasn't goingA to
   let that happen.A  We ended at $26,000, and with auction fees/taxes, it
   cost me over $30,000 to buy that car.A  We got it back to the race
   shop, and the tub was a disaster.A  It had not been drilled out,
   bonded, and riveted in decades - but in fact all the parts were there
   and the engine ran well.A  Many hours of work later, we had the tub
   apart, but, we are a very very long way from having it done.A A
   Anyway, when we are finally - years from now -- completely done
   restoring the car and get a few races under its belt, it may be worth
   $25,000, if we are lucky.A  Our investment will be well north of
   $50,000, not including shop labor.
   That result is not the end of the world, but it will be the last car we
   buy at one of the "Scottsdale Auctions" -- which is a shame, because we
   like the events and car watching, but have a history of getting caught
   up in the moment.A  So, I just have to stay away.A A
   A A
   Regards,A
   Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC
   Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.comA
   Direct: 480-442-0297
   [1]www.PatentIt.com
   Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656A  |A A F:A 480.535.6628A
   |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

   Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357A  |A  F: 312.896.5633A  |A  A: 55 E.

   On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM MICHAEL DREW <[3]mikeldrew at aol.com>
   You are not alone. A guy arguably let his judgement be impaired by free
   auction booze and bought a modified original GT5-S for $319k plus
   commission. A few years later Covid kicked his financial butt and he
   had to sell it.A  It took almost a year to sell and he struggled to get
   $180k for it.A
   Mike
   Sent from my iPhone

     On Aug 18, 2021, at 15:56, Steve Lisa <[4]stevelisa at patentit.com>
   I have mostly crappy results (some alcohol-induced) buying cars at the
   major auction houses.A  I think the exception is Bring A Trailer, which
   draws comments and history for the cars from those that know it.A A
   I have committed to stop drinking at auctions..... to help prevent
   further mistakes.A  A
   [5]www.PatentIt.com