[DeTomaso] To Drop or Not to Drop

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 28 22:07:13 EDT 2021

To add to what other have stated;

Not all lowered floor pans are the same, the method of lowering combined with the chosen seat bears a large influence on the outcome.

The tip back method of adding triangulated portions and a rear section simply lowers the back of the seat, but retains the fore-aft seat adjustment. Many seats like your C4 Corvette have a raised front bolster and don't lend themselves well to this style of pan with added rake, I personally then find them awkward and uncomfortable.

A full 4-sided drop pan lowers the seat vertically, but one usually loses the fore-aft adjustability. Then with a low seat one's legs are outstretched almost on the remaining stock forward stock height floor section.

The later GT5 style of lowered floor (despite Mr. Drew's opinion and my own opposingly biased one) is the best execution, it offers all options of seats to be installed with spacers if required (fore or aft for rake adjustment or all 4 for height) and provides for 2" of additional head room. This allows for any combination of seat to be installed and adjusted to the right (or wrong) height as I can attest to having driven my GT5 the 12 hours straight home from Phoenix after purchase, it took a week to work that crick out of my neck!

If I had a car in bare metal and wanted to lower floors, I would personally go GT5 full floor route, but taht is stock in a GT5 and there's a lot to be said for staying stock, especially now you are retired and the freshly painted garage queen is probably destined to rarely see the light of day until lack of use forces a sale. 🙂

Julian