[DeTomaso] To Drop or Not to Drop

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 21:40:04 EDT 2021

 I'm 6'5" and have installed dropped floor pans in both of my Panteras,
along with C4 Corvette seats.  A smaller diameter steering wheel, pedal
spacers (for increased leg room) and a bulkhead reduction kit round out the
modifications.  Highly recommended.  My floor pans are from Kirk Evans.  He
offers a couple of drops and mine are the deeper ones that drop the rear of
the floor around 3" and the front maybe an 1.5".  They do cut through the
crossmember but with the filler pieces, I don't think they sacrifice any
rigidity.  Jacking the car on one corner will lift it off the ground on 3
corners with no sag (doors will open and close fine) so it seems stiff.
I've not noticed any problems driving it either but I did install a chassis
stiffening kit at the same time.

As I understand it, Kirk has a revised design.  Mine's the earlier version
but here's what Kirk said about his new design:

"I totally redesigned the pans and was able to keep
 the front///bottom of the original cross-member intact
 and supply a new reinforcement which makes it stronger
 than the original---which is not that hard to do.
 I also supply new seat mount rails and my pans are
 16 gauge steel rather than 20 gauge. These pans
 fit the car far better than any this built to date."

The following comments are relative to his earlier design but may still be
of interest.  These are the big pans that cut into both the fore-and-aft
and side-to-side floor pan reinforcements.  This allows for larger seats
and permits the seats to slide fore-and-aft, unlike the drop pans that stay
within the boundaries of the original pan reinforcements.  Kirk supplies
stiffeners that run the length of the pans and also serve as the mounts for
the seat rails.  The stiffeners keep the flat pans from "oil canning".  At
the front, you cut across the floor pan fore-and-aft frame rail, cap it off
(with the shaped leading edge part of the new pan) and then weld a pair of
heavy steel u-channels (upside down) to the floor pan.  The outer u-channel
is in line with the old floor pan fore-and-aft frame rail.  It butts up
against the pan on both ends.  You weld it to the pan along both long edges
and both short edges.  It then forms a load path similar to the original
fore-and-aft frame rail.  Be sure to make triangular pieces underneath the
car so the rear rails tie into the pans.  I made filler pieces (patterned
off of cardboard templates) to close off the various gaps (there's a
sizable one around the emergency brake handle and several smaller ones both
inside the passenger compartment and underneath).  On the bottom side, I
made pieces that tie the pan directly to the fore-and-aft and side-to-side
frame rails.  Note the aft portion of the pan wasn't formed by a metal
brake.  Instead, it was a separate piece of metal tack welded to the main
pan.  Under load, that portion off the pan deflected so we welded along the
entire length and it became very rigid.  I'm pretty sure I had to trim the
metal surrounding the parking brake handle but forget the details.

Even though there is some rake built into the pans, I needed to install
stands to get the fixed headrest C4 seats in a comfortable position.

Dan Jones