[DeTomaso] Gauge trim TIG project

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 14:16:30 EDT 2021

All,

Those of you with a good memory will recall a year ago I inquired about how to braze or weld the OEM chromed-brass gauge trim to create new trim for my new horizontal gauge panel. I had modified the fiberglass horizontal panel sold by Steve (for L-model cars) to allow it to correctly interface with my pre-L 2511 dash and console.

I was able to locate a local one man welding shop who demonstrated his ability to TIG weld the channel, and I then proceeded to mix and match pieces to create the two portions of the trim.

I created two aluminum “bucks” to hold the pieces in alignment for welding. 11 pieces, 10 welds.

I then spent dozens of hours with 300 grit and needle files preparing the welds and trim for my chrome shop.

The chrome came out beautiful and the finished installation will look stock to anyone not knowing any better. Which is exactly the result I was looking for.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Larry