[DeTomaso] Last week at work...

Scott Mead Photography scott at scottmeadphotography.com
Tue Nov 17 16:25:18 EST 2020

Hi everyone,

Since it’s a bit slow on the list today, I thought I’d share a photo shoot I did last week. Unlike the usual Chevelle or GT350 I tend to photograph, I received the assignment of a lifetime: a couple DeTomasos, that weren’t Panteras, Mangusta or Vallelunga. I got to shoot a couple of DeTomaso’s race cars. Specifically the 1965 Sport 5000 prototype and P70 #1. The P70 has been fully restored, which Pete Brock consulted on the resto. The Sport 5000 still wears its factory patina, as many of us saw at the DeTomaso 50th on 1990.

To say I had goosebumps while photographing these two cars would be a gross understatement. I had to keep pinching myself, shaking my head in disbelief that two of Alejandro’s “holy grail” cars were before my cameras. While I didn’t drive either of them, I did sit in them (at least I tried - my frame didn’t settle that well into the small racing seats), and I shot over 1,000 photos of each car.

I’ve attached one image of the duo (the server would freak out if I tried to attach all of them), so if you want to see more pix, you can find the Sport 5000 here (https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-444930/1965-detomaso-sport-5000-roadster/) and the P70 here (https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-444932/1965-shelbydetomaso-p70-can-am-sports-racer/). The way I see it, I (or any of us) have until January to win the lottery!

Cheers,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone