[DeTomaso] BaT: Non-running survivor '74 sells for $95K

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 07:11:34 EST 2020

Understood.

>From experience, if you don't have metal hanging out somewhere you just weren't trying hard enough.

If this is going to a collector, and not a driver, it would be pretty easy to pull the engine, do a basic rebuild, get all of the paint, small bits, etc. correct, and maybe not even put oil back into it.  Just push it around in your showroom garage.

Btw, I've been in the Miami/FLL area for about 8 years now.  I have a sheet of unpainted perforated metal sitting in my garage.  It's similar to the engine cover in a Pantera. It has been there for about 5 years, and it is just now starting to rust - barely.  I'm in the garage almost every weekend, door up, etc.  No A/C.  I'm 8 miles from the beach.  Oh, and we get a lot of rain, especially during hurricane season.  Cars don't rust where I live.  You never see rusty cars either.  It's probably different at the beach, I'm sure, or if you have salt water access behind your house.  There are channels 1-2 miles from the beach, so people can have a real home and get to the ocean in their boats.  My point is I wouldn't be concerned about rust on a FL car unless it lived in the Keys.  It's less of a risk than a car that has lived in the ice/snow, anyway.

The other weird thing is this area is the polishing/show crowd.  Not many people drive old cars.  There are lots of Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Vipers, ricers, Teslas, etc., but you mostly see old cars in garages and at the car show.  I saw a nice Pantera at an exotic garage last weekend, btw.  It was a GT5-S conversion - L dash, pre-L bumpers, 351W, nitrous.