[DeTomaso] Some 'experts' we are!

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Mon May 4 19:16:55 EDT 2020

All,
Last week I mentioned that we drove in Lori's Pantera up to Pantera Parts Connection where we acquired a speedometer cable.  Yesterday was the chosen date for installation.
Lori and I raised the car up on the lift, removed the rear interior panel and engine cover, removed the shift gate to be able to free up the center console, then I crawled under the dash and removed the cable from the speedo, threaded it out from above the pedals, passed it to Lori sitting in the passenger seat, who then pressed it through the rubber grommet, through the chassis and down underneath the back of the car where I had repositioned myself.  I then fed the front of the cable back up from under the car, where she retrieved it, passed it through the grommet, then I ran it under the console, up over the pedals, looped it back around and managed to successfully get it into the back of the speedo.
Then I moved to the rear of the car to disconnect the old cable and connect the new one....
...and that's when I discovered that Lori's 1971 Pantera, which was retrofitted at some point with a Dash-2 gearbox, still retained its original VDO Dash-1 speedo drive.
Meaning her new speedometer cable would not fit, no way, no how.  So we got to undo everything we had done and return the original cable back into position, pending the arrival of a proper cable.
Last week Larry and I were right there, with the car, looking at it, and it failed to occur to either of us to just CHECK to see what kind of cable she needed before we confidently picked the wrong one from the shelf and Lori and I motored back home.
Duh! :>)