[DeTomaso] Dash Removal

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon May 4 16:28:16 EDT 2020

There are 4 slotted screws (on our car they looked like wood screws) that hold the dash; one at each end and two in the middle. The end ones have white plastic spacer-blocks that fall on the rug when the screws are pulled, so its not obvious where they go. But it IS possible to R & R the fan ass'y without pulling the dash. Someone in Nor-Cal told me he did it so I tried and sure enough- it can be done, with difficulty.

But you're working blind and unless you really know the layout of the split motor mount and its screws, it will be very difficult & takes small tools. Actually extracting the motor once its loose is tricky, too. Keep track of how things come out as you go because I found its possible to reinstall the motor with the squirrel cage fans backward and seriously reduce airflow. Then you get to repeat the whole exercise. 2nd time is a bit easier....

The only time the dash absolutely must come out is if you need to work on the ac/heater box. Gerry Romack likes to modify the inside of the boxes for better airflow thru the two cores. Directions on Great Lakes Pantera website. There are also directions for dash removal on Mike Daily's Monster Web Site and in the Pantera Service Highlights manual. Good luck.