[DeTomaso] Water temp gauge question

Steven Edwards1969Dart gsedwards at cox.net
Wed Mar 18 16:47:00 EDT 2020

The water temp gauge was not working in the 72 that I am working on. It was stuck on 90 and would not move.

I bought a new 90-260 water temp gauge and a sending unit that would work with the gauge. I installed both, sending unit in tank.

When you run the key the gauge now maxes out to the right 60 degrees.
So I check the system;
Gauge is grounded
Gauge has 12 vdc to it
The red w/blk wire has continuity for the gauge to the sending unit
Tank to body has continuity
Bung to body has continuity
Bung to base of sending unit has continuity
Base to stud does not have continuity, which it shouldn’t have until it warms up to operating temp.
I check the sending unit wire to body, no continuity, so wire is not grounded to body anywhere.
When I touch the wire to body the gauge moves to max
Then I put the wire on the sending unit and it maxes out, engine is off and cold.

I am in need of guidance to what is going on here. I am at a lose as to what is happening.

Steven Edwards