[DeTomaso] Tach & Speedo Mounting Options?

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 13:43:06 EDT 2020

Mike,

Had to chuckle reading your post this morning. Like you and all other owners, I have suffered through the tribulations of removing and reinstalling the tach and speedometer. Those two little nuts on each gauge bracket are maniacally designed to elicit words of frustration.

With an enhanced inaccessibility due to some of the HVAC modifications I did on 2511, I realized I had aggravated an already challenging process.

You mentioned resorting to just a friction mounting approach and that is exactly what I did. Nothing as complex as wrapping prone-to-deterioration tape or adapting a rubber gasket.

I took my soldering gun and melted the two gauge housing edges at 12-3-6-9 o’clock. Cautious trial and error eventually found the sweet spot between too tight and too loose. I have no fear of either gauge rotating or popping out, but both can be easily pushed out after threading a few fingers behind them.

I have the early two pod dash which I am pretty sure is an ABS black plastic. Don’t know if this approach works on the single pod dashes.

If anyone needs two brackets and some retaining nuts, I’ve got a pair available.

 ;-)

YMMV

Larry