[DeTomaso] Speaking of EFI--Water Temp Sensor Question

JFFR pantera at vtc.net
Fri Jul 31 20:17:58 EDT 2020

Your EFI system water temperature sensor is mostly used to get the
system to switch from open loop operation (cold start) to closed loop
operation (normal operating temperature or somewhere just below that).
If you are still using the original swirl tank/fill tank system, you
could put the EFI temperature sending unit in the tank and use the water
port in the front of the engine block for you water temperature gauge.
You could also use a thermostat housing from a 429/460 Ford engine,
which had a port for some type on emissions control sender. That of
course would require you to cut and modify the original Pantera engine
water outlet pipe. Using any available port on the water pump will give
you false low water temperature readings.

My EFI water temperature sensor is located in the water jacket of one of
the cylinder heads. I have CHI 3V heads, but the heads had to be drilled
and tapped for the water outlets because I used a Fontana block, so
drilling a couple of more holes in the cylinder heads was not a big deal
at that point, but can understand if you don't want to do it.