[DeTomaso] Seatbelts

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 19:25:23 EST 2020

Glad to see Steve and Julian's comments on the stock 3-point, which I prefer for our mostly- street use. I note that in the serious crashes I've heard about, the stock system protects well. Sure- it's possible to get killed but this apparently doesn't happen often.

Hear-say #1: A few years ago, a So-Cal owner (apparently) blew a tire at a verified-by-GPS 187mph on a deserted Nevada highway while 'testing' a new high-horse engine. The car rolled & somersaulted end-over end several times. Front of the roof was bent almost level with the hood while the rear half- with him inside- was at almost stock height. Speedo was torn out of the badly damaged dashboard. He got a broken wrist & slight concussion. Stock belts.

Hear-say #2 happened on a convoy to 'Vegas; the last car in the group passing a pickup on a 2-lane CA country road did "something" that caused the car to go off the road and barrel-rolled, completely clearing a std barbed wire fence to land wheels-up in a field. Driver & passenger were reportedly shaken but unhurt. Stock belts.