[DeTomaso] Seatbelts

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:59:51 EST 2020

Corey,

Be sure to get a 5 or 6 point harness and not settle fora 4 point that doesn't have the submarine belt. Anchoring for a 5 point isn't ideal in the Pantera and much easier if you have a seat with the cut out for the submarine belt.

I switched from 5 point back to a simple 3 point stock style seat belt last summer and really happy with my choice. My reasons were 1.) I'm long legged and with the 5 point harness properly adjusted I could not reach the ignition switch 2. It's a PITA if you take different passengers frequently to constantly adjust the harness 3.) Unless you seat is relatively low back or has the cutouts for shoulder belts the harness bar does not place the shoulder straps in a great position, especially if they have to 'wrap' around the outside edge of the seat. 4.) Most everyday folks do not adjust a harness properly to be any real effect in an accident, it really does need to be cinched down to the point your body movements are restricted. 5). The harness bar really needs additional intermediate anchoring over the the two bolts at the ends to be safe.

I would assess your track use frequency and consider installing the harness bar and appropriate seat for each track event and use a street system for the street.

Julian