[DeTomaso] Techno Question: installation of sway bars

johnmckee johnmckee at cox.net
Wed Feb 26 23:22:48 EST 2020

Chuck,I recently gave up that task and decided that I must need the extra weight of the engine and transaxle to assist with bolt hole alignment. Drive train installation will hopefully be in the next few weeks.Then I begin that sway bar dance again...JohnSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Charles Engles <cengles at cox.net> Date: 2/26/20  7:04 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: [DeTomaso] Techno Question: installation of sway bars Dear Forum,                  There I was facing a re-installation of a rear GTS sway barwith poly bushings and sphereball A-arm mounts.   My first thought was thisshould go along quickly.   Then things quickly went the way of all theprevious procedures.  What looks and seems simple deteriorates into a longseries of back&forth fiddly sequences to slowly bring all the parts of thesway bar into position and alignment and get all the bolts threaded, etc,etc.                  Then once all that is done, you don't tighten it all up andcall it a day, you leave it loose, come off the jack stands and let thesuspension settle.   Then tighten up the sway bar.                   It occurred to me that perhaps, I have been doing itwrong.  Perhaps there is a *good* and *simple* method that I am ignorant of.                   Is there a better way to wrestle the sway bar intoposition??                               Curious and philosophical,  Chuck Engles                 Follow up of the engine hatch in the bulkhead and weatherstripping.   Bill Gaino and Tom Galli both recommended butyl rubberwindshield sealant.  I found mine at NAPA  #MS-4195.    A big roll that willdo two or three hatches was $22.00.    Sticky and malleable and good.