[DeTomaso] Stiff clutch diagnosed - WTF?!

Mike & Elizabeth Thomas mbefthomas2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 11:10:55 EST 2020

John, can you elaborate?

Our email address has changed: Please use  <mailto:mbefthomas2 at gmail.com> mbefthomas2 at gmail.com for all new messages, thanks!

From: John Taphorn <johnftaphorn at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 4:26 AM
To: Mike & Elizabeth Thomas <mbefthomas2 at gmail.com>
Cc: <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Stiff clutch diagnosed - WTF?!

Mike

That interface doesn't look like your problem to me.

JT

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 11:16 PM Mike & Elizabeth Thomas <mbefthomas2 at gmail.com <mailto:mbefthomas2 at gmail.com> > wrote:

   At the end of the Panteras Northwest Fall Cruise last September, my
   clutch was becoming stiffer by the day and at the end, It was all I
   could do to get home.

   I pulled the engine and ZF yesterday in prep for a restoration on the
   car and when we pulled the two apart to diagnose the stiff clutch, I
   found that the fingers on the clutch lever arm and the `ears' on the
   throw-out bearing were both extremely worn (see attached photos).
   Also, while the face of the throw-out does not appear overly worn, the
   bearing itself is quite loose and rattily.  The lever arm shaft moves
   freely enough so I suspect my problem was with the lever arm to
   throw-out friction.

   I'm likely going to have to separate the bell housing from the ZF and
   send out for repairs - I don't want to tackle this one myself.  I
   suspect the throw-out actuator will need to be replaced.  I put a very
   light lube on things when I put it together but no more/less than the
   last two times I've replaced this bearing (with a stock unit
   previously) and never seen this kind of wear.

   Stay tuned.  I sent these pics to Adam at Pantera Performance and we'll
   see what he has to say.  I was running one of Quella's throw-out
   bearings as well.  Glad I won't be driving it for a while.

   Mike

   Our email address has changed: Please use [1]mbefthomas2 at gmail.com <mailto:mbefthomas2 at gmail.com>  for
   all new messages, thanks!

References

[...]