[DeTomaso] Seat Belts for PB

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 14 16:27:51 EST 2020

I was only talking to someone yesterday regarding the pros and cons of harnesses versus seatbelts.

I switched away from a harness partially for the reason that Corey mentions, it wasn't possible to reach the ignition switch buckled in. As I'm sure you are aware as a trauma surgeon a harness will keep one very rigid in the seat and all the impact will be absorbed through the neck. There is a good reason that HANS devices are mandated in racing in conjunction with harnesses. The use of an antisubmarine (5 or 6-point belts) is wise, but not that effective if looped around the front of a normal street seat, race seats are equipped with through seat provision for the belt to be tight against your body/crotch. Equally, belt anchoring isn't just a case of drilling a hole and fender washers, structural mounting points are required for the belts to do their job.

There is also at least one documented Pantera rollover accident where the occupant probably would not have survived had he been wearing a harness instead of his 3-point seat belt. Also, if you have multiple passenger (or drivers) adjusting the belts for fit each time can be a bit of a PITA.

That all said if you are still convinced harnesses are the way to go, then as they expire after 5 years for most sanctioning bodies used ones in perfectly good useable street condition are often available very cheap.

Julian