[DeTomaso] Adjusting door tips??

steve at snclocks.com steve at snclocks.com
Mon Aug 17 09:39:52 EDT 2020

Good morning Larry.  I doubt I have more than 10 hours into adjusting doors on our car.  OK, maybe more.  It is trial and error - but yes, loosening all the bolts at once with an unsupported door would make it a lot  more of a challenge.

The first thing I do is set up a support under the lower, back edge of the door.  Specifically I use a screw-jack with wood and foam on top of it to assure the door doesn't move when I loosen one of the two hinges bolts.  Look at your door to body gaps at the front of the door - is there evidence that the top or bottom gaps are larger?  If so, that gives you a clue which hinge to move.  To lift the back of the door you need to either reduce the upper door to front fender gap or increase the lower door to front fender gap.  Then, when you go to actually adjust, make sure the door is not stressing the hinge you are going to adjust by lifting the back of the door enough.  You end up loosening, raising a little, tightening, and seeing if you did any good.  If not, then loosen and raise just a little more.  With no more than a couple of dozen attempts I can usually get a better fit.

I hope this helps.

Stephen