[DeTomaso] Brake bleeding issue learned

Rich Hoppe richbhoppe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 12:51:24 EDT 2020

I am sending this to the group to build the knowledge base.

I am working on my daughters restoration.

I have a new brakes system.  Everything.
It has been in the car without fluid for a couple years.

I started bleeding the brakes and ran into a problem.
I would get one squirt of fluid out the back brake calipers and then stop.

I would try again after a while and got one squirt again.

What I found out was the master cylinder adapter had some kind of grease or
something on the piston that would not let the master open back up
quickly.  It would come back slowly.

The front worked because the master starts putting fluid to the front
wheels and then to the back.
When you look into the aftermarket master you can see three holes in the
bottom.
The front goes to the rear brakes the rear goes to the front.
Then a third hole you can see closest to the master.
You can actually watch the plunger do its thing.  when I looked in I could
see it move slowly back when the peddle was already up.  So I took the
adapter off and found the goo that was bumming up and causing the problem.

Maybe I am the only one that will have this problem but probably not.

FYI
Rich Hoppe