[DeTomaso] Why both?

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Oct 26 17:37:00 EDT 2019

Image result for tim the toolman taylor gif

Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
Spokane County ARES-RACES-ACS EC/RO
******************************
http://w7tsc.org
http://www.teampanteraracing.com

On 10/26/2019 14:32, Will Kooiman wrote:
> Don Garlits did it on one of his dragsters.  I don¹t know how well it ran.
>
> Of course, Garlits did it to see if it made more power, and who knows,
> maybe it did.
>
> Take a look at all of the other hot rods out there, though.  Do you really
> think my 427 Cobra needs a 482 stroker?  It does to me.  I¹ll never use
> the 600hp, but it has value to me.
>
> So, maybe the owner did it because it was cool to him, and more power to
> him.
>
> On 10/23/19, 5:35 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of audionut motonut"
> <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
> audionut at mediacombb.net> wrote:
>
>>    Why both?
>>    The correct answer is quite clear to me:
>>    Some rich hillbilly has more money than good sense.
>>    By now we all know the Pantera is a powerful magnet for folks like
>>    this.  Case in point?  Elvis Presley, King of the Hillbillies.
>>    Yee haw.
>>    The trouble is that the Pantera is so wickedly stylish that some guys
>>    feel the motor has to have at least 700hp to keep up with its' looks.
>>    Reminds me of a friend of mine, an old punk rocker who made a chunk of
>>    dough playing with Social Distortion.  He started his own hipster
>>    bar/restaurant close to where I used to live and when he saw my Pantera
>>    in his parking lot one day he immediately offered to buy it.  I threw a
>>    price at him and that conversation ended quick.
>>    Fast forward 10 years or so and he's joined POCA.  He found a yellow 72
>>    with a visibly modified 351C built to specs unknown.   Not long after I
>>    sent him on a repair mission of minor issues, (he took care of them) I
>>    get a text from him telling me he's blown up his motor racing a modern
>>    Porsche on a local freeway.
>>    Dumb bastard.  I gave him Tim Meyer's info and told him if he wanted to
>>    smoke modern Porsches then he better be prepared to spend twice what he
>>    paid for the Pantera and re-do the entire car.
>>    Ah yes..... the DeTomaso Pantera........never a dull moment.
>>      __________________________________________________________________

[1]http://w7tsc.org
[2]http://www.teampanteraracing.com

Don Garlits did it on one of his dragsters.  I don^1t know how well it ran.

Of course, Garlits did it to see if it made more power, and who knows,
maybe it did.

Take a look at all of the other hot rods out there, though.  Do you really
think my 427 Cobra needs a 482 stroker?  It does to me.  I^1ll never use

[3]<detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
[...]

  [6]https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-detomaso-pantera-39/
  use the links above.

the links above.