[DeTomaso] Battery Cable Ends, OK to solder?

steve at snclocks.com steve at snclocks.com
Thu Oct 24 10:37:55 EDT 2019

The thing I love most about individual decisions is we each get to live with
what we choose.  I sure am glad batteries are put together properly and all
that lead doesn't just vibrate away!

But, honestly - The hardness of pure lead is 1.5 on the Mohs scale (between
talc and gypsum: it can be scratched by the fingernail), and its tensile
strength is only 2000 psi. ... Lead anneals itself (recrystallizes) at room
temperature, so cold work does not harden it.

Hmmm - tensile of 2,000 psi - wow.  Make no mistake - I crimp connections
before I solder them - heck fire - how am I supposed to keep that little
metal thingie on the wire if I don't crimp it in some way.  And, if the
solder does in fact tin the surface of the wire - wow - tough to break that
grip.  I've never seen soldered connections loosen with time - but I've also
never seen a unicorn.  Doesn't mean there aren't unicorns out there...

The main thing is to get your cars out and drive the piss out of them.

Oh - could someone teach factories how to properly solder and/or crimp???  I
won't even begin to go there on the really crap aftermarket work I see on
electrical systems - cold solder joints anyone?

Stephen