[DeTomaso] Why both?

audionut motonut audionut at mediacombb.net
Wed Oct 23 17:35:38 EDT 2019

Why both?

The correct answer is quite clear to me:

Some rich hillbilly has more money than good sense.

By now we all know the Pantera is a powerful magnet for folks like this. Case in point? Elvis Presley, King of the Hillbillies.

Yee haw.

The trouble is that the Pantera is so wickedly stylish that some guys feel the motor has to have at least 700hp to keep up with its' looks.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, an old punk rocker who made a chunk of dough playing with Social Distortion. He started his own hipster bar/restaurant close to where I used to live and when he saw my Pantera in his parking lot one day he immediately offered to buy it. I threw a price at him and that conversation ended quick.

Fast forward 10 years or so and he's joined POCA. He found a yellow 72 with a visibly modified 351C built to specs unknown. Not long after I sent him on a repair mission of minor issues, (he took care of them) I get a text from him telling me he's blown up his motor racing a modern Porsche on a local freeway.

Dumb bastard. I gave him Tim Meyer's info and told him if he wanted to smoke modern Porsches then he better be prepared to spend twice what he paid for the Pantera and re-do the entire car.

Ah yes..... the DeTomaso Pantera........never a dull moment.

Came across this on BAT. I've owned both Supercharged and Turbocharged
cars. Both have their own fun factors, though I liked the supercharged ones
best. Why would you put both on a car?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-detomaso-pantera-39/