[DeTomaso] Metal particles in Transaxle

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 20:51:39 EDT 2019

IMHO, I agree with JIm. Magnetic wear particles will come from steel synchro rings & sleeves and the cast iron shift forks against the steel gear collars, plus the limited-slip clutches. Chunks come from something breaking inside. A magnetic drain plug and a yearly lube replacement (drained hot!) is our best defense against the inevitable $5000 ZF overhaul.

 I've never used synthetic differential lubes but I do recommend LSD slip-agent additives as needed. Easy way to tell if your ZF LSD is still working is a short drive around town in the rain. An unhappy ZF LSD will jerk noticably in tight low speed turns on slippery asphalt, telling you it needs an additive. NOT jerking may either mean things are fine, or the LSD function has gone away.