[DeTomaso] Steering How to raise tab

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 14 11:08:13 EDT 2019

Steven,

Normally they are not dented nearly this much. Somebody has been there before you, I think.

Do NOT hurt or cut this locking ring! Assuming it is in the proper position now, it will need to return to the same position.

What you need to do is start gently working it up from the corners. Start with a small pointed punch and sharpen it with a file or bench grinder. Insert it in one corner and gently tap with a small hammer. Work from one side to the other, and as it gradually raises work towards the center.

It is absolutely essential that you raise it sufficiently on the inboard side so that it does not drag on the threads when you finally remove it from the rack. If you leave the inboard side partially indented, it will destroy the threads on the rack on the way off.....

Mike

Sent from my iPad