[DeTomaso] Fuel Tack Replacement / Repair

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Feb 25 13:00:15 EST 2019

Ken,

I’m glad you mentioned that your car is a GT5-S. The fuel tanks in those cars have shown a propensity for developing leaks in recent years. I know Colin Bradshaw on this forum was so-afflicted just last year. I think Colin was able to have his tank welded up inside the car. But most likely you will need to pull the engine and gearbox (which is not very difficult, just time-consuming) in order to pull your tank out.

Then you will have to decide if it’s worth fixing or if you want to replace it. Both original tanks and aftermarket stainless steel tanks are available.

None of this is going to be cheap or easy to fix. But you can’t continue to drive a car whose gas tank is located inches from a flaming hot exhaust, when fuel is spewing out of it.

Hopefully Colin can chime in with more details about his tank’s failure and repair....

Mike

Sent from my iPad