[DeTomaso] Valve Cover cast DeTomaso plate adhesion to stock valve covers

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 20 16:23:45 EDT 2019

DeTomaso/Ford was almost 100% un-successful at gluing the aluminum logo-plates to the painted steel valve covers, with anything available at the time. Most original plaques were lost within days of taking delivery. Some were recovered tangled up in spark plug wires. Dissimilar metals & expansion rates with paint in between, 250+ degree heat from hot oil inside the covers, vibration, spilled gas from fuel leaks- pretty much everything one does NOT want in gluing things together long-term.

Only positive method that comes to mind is to drill two holes in each plaque and valve cover and countersink the holes in the cast aluminum plaques. Use flathead grade 5 or 8 screws, lock washers and nuts to hold them together; Fill the countersinks with JB-Weld. Cosmetically fiddle with the appearance until the holes & screw heads are hidden to your liking; a coat or two of aluminum paint would finish the job.