[DeTomaso] REPLACEMENT ALTERNATOR RECOMMENDATIONS?

Thomas Törnblom thomas at hax.se
Mon Aug 12 17:33:09 EDT 2019

No.

The car had a Bosch 90A alternator when I bought it, and it is adequate, but the regulator has no external sense wire so I had issues with the battery never really being charged fully. That was an even bigger problem when I was using Optima yellow top batteries, which require slightly higher voltage. The new alternator has an external sense lead that I’ve connected to the fat wire  from the battery to the starter relay. This way it will regulate against the battery voltage.

The only problem is that the undamped (VDO) ammeter occasionally gets into some kind of resonance where it bounces from end to end of the scale. I’ve thought about adding some low pass filtration on the sense lead to calm it down, or if that doesn’t work, I can move it to the B+ post on the alternator and have it work just like the Bosch alt. Come to think of it, perhaps I can add some filtration to the ammeter instead.

I have EFI and a monster cooling fan, which att full blast draws somewhere around 50 amps or so, and this alternator has no problems powering this.

-------------- next part --------------
   No.

   The car had a Bosch 90A alternator when I bought it, and it is
   adequate, but the regulator has no external sense wire so I had issues
   with the battery never really being charged fully. That was an even
   bigger problem when I was using Optima yellow top batteries, which
   require slightly higher voltage. The new alternator has an external
   sense lead that I've connected to the fat wire  from the battery to the
   starter relay. This way it will regulate against the battery voltage.

   The only problem is that the undamped (VDO) ammeter occasionally gets
   into some kind of resonance where it bounces from end to end of the
   scale. I've thought about adding some low pass filtration on the sense
   lead to calm it down, or if that doesn't work, I can move it to the B+
   post on the alternator and have it work just like the Bosch alt. Come
   to think of it, perhaps I can add some filtration to the ammeter
   instead.

   I have EFI and a monster cooling fan, which att full blast draws
   somewhere around 50 amps or so, and this alternator has no problems
   powering this.

   I installed a 130 amp 3g Mustang alternator from DB Electrical this
   spring, $78 :)
   There are several Pantera owners using these. Just ask for a V-belt
   pulley when you order.
   /Thomas
   > 12 aug. 2019 kl. 18:06 skrev [8]clewis at dmn.net:
   >
   > So my MSD Advanced Power Systems Alternator seems to have given up
   the ghost.  I have had it since 2008 and MSD no longer makes them.

   > What are you guys using that is better than OEM?
   >
   > I saw the Billet Tech aftermarket alternators.  They look really good
   but are very pricey ($400 - $600)

   > What recommendations do you guys have?

   use the links above.

   use the links above.