[DeTomaso] Air cleaner suggestions/The Final Word On The Dog Bone

audionut motonut audionut at mediacombb.net
Fri Aug 2 23:09:05 EDT 2019

It's true that the dog bone doesn't flow air at all. Not even a little.

You may as well jam a cork down the throat of your carb. (I don't care about dyno tests.....just look at the damn thing. No way it flows any air!)

I have been running one for 5 years and I hate it. I am going to get rid of it. What was I thinking?

But to be fair, the dog bone does have an upside-- with one of these silly things further suffocating the already anemic, gutless, tiny-ported Ford 351-C 4V, very little exhaust will emit out the back and the car will become significantly quieter and more environmentally friendly, which is something every Pantera owner aspires to.

Of course, "Dog Bone" is indeed a ridiculous name and only furthers the Panteras' image as a "Redneck Supercar".

Needless to say, it is very uncool to put one on your car.

Insider Warning: If ever a well-esteemed Pantera guy sees a dog bone on your car he will shake his head sadly and "Tsk! Tsk!" quietly to himself whilst politely saying nothing so as to not embarrass you.

In the interest of sparing you the ignominy of the Dog Bone air filter, I must strongly advise anyone considering buying one to choose something else.

As far as suggesting an alternative, do a little digging and find yourself a stock Ford Autolite 4V carb, pay $2500 for it without grumbling, keep the stock blue snorkel job, flip the lid over and remove the engine screen.

You will be zipping down the road, the envy of all. Guaranteed.

Am I right Terry?

Folks,I currently have a Mr Gasket polished aluminum air cleaner that resembles a blower scoop! It has a 6.5 inch round filter element. I am assuming this filter that I have had on the car for years is restrictive and am looking for suggestions on alternatives. Would like something polished aluminum, very unique, and nonrestrictive. I do not have the engine screen on car so height is not a factor. This air filter will go on the Road Demon carb. I have an Edelbrock polished intake manifold.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I love the look of this "blower" scoop sneaking out of the engine bay but maybe time for a change. Thanks !