[DeTomaso] NPC NPC NPC Wondering how California banning fosil fuel in 27 years will impact the long term value of our cars?

Himes, Terry (397C) Terry.Himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 19 10:23:59 EDT 2018

This reminds me of a practical joke we played on a friend of mine, Steve Carter.

I just hired Steve to work in my software company in Princeton, NJ. After a few
weeks he decided to buy a new car.  He bought a used Saab 900 Turbo (yes, it was the 80s).
He bragged it was a great car and fuel efficient. So I went out and bought a bunch of gas
cans, filled them up and stored them in our maintenance shed behind the building.
Every week we would fill his tank with just enough for him to get great gas mileage, but
not enough to make him suspicious. After 2 months we was in heaven! He even wrote a
letter to the car manufacturer.

We convinced him that he should take us all out to Happy Hour and buy us beer with all the
money he is saving. (I only had 14 people at the time) He did. And after the 2nd round we
let him know exactly why he was getting such good gas mileage!  Ha!

That began about 10 years of practical jokes. Those were the good 'ol days!!

Terry

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Dawn Spacecraft Team