[DeTomaso] Oil cooler question

JFFR pantera at vtc.net
Wed Sep 12 10:06:40 EDT 2018

I have a Laminova oil cooler on the outlet of my radiator and for street
use in the desert, it does a pretty good job. When I used the car on our
local road course race track, oil temperatures would start getting into
the 240 degree area. My car has a front mounted air conditioning
condenser, so the area where the original condenser was located was
available to install an air to air DeRalle oil cooler with its own fan
assembly. Oil temperature is now staying around the 210 to 220 degree
range when the car is being tracked. My engine has a Titan oil pump
which was set up to compensate for the additional oil lines to and from
the coolers.

Two oil coolers may sound like overkill, but the second oil cooler which
is now in the rear of the car was actually very easy to install. The
rear cooler fan has a thermostatic switch which doesn't come on until
the oil reaches 180 degrees, which in turn doesn't allow the oil to be
too cold. High horse power engines generate lots of heat and cooling the
oil also helps to keep the water temperature down.