[DeTomaso] NPC Landing on Mars

Himes, Terry (397C) Terry.Himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 27 12:47:55 EST 2018

Patrick,

As soon as you can make Candy RAD-HARDNED we’ll send it.  Ha!
Oh, and Mars is only about 38% of the gravity on earth. So every 100 lbs on Earth,
would weigh only 38 lbs on Mars.

I just added them up, and this is my 10th Mars mission. And they never get old. Cool fun stuff.

Our solar arrays deployed last night and she woke up this morning getting full power (700 watts)
and doing some spacecraft checkout. As soon as that is done, some more images will come
down. But they will be very boring. The idea was to land on the most uninteresting place so that
the seismometer would be happy.

What time is it on Mars?  We calculate Mars time using Local Mean Solar Time (LMST). As soon
as I hit “Send” it will be 11:43am on Mars for InSight.  (same as MSL)

http://jtauber.github.io/mars-clock/

Terry

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory