[DeTomaso] New AC system

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 23 10:05:34 EDT 2018

What do you have right now, still the York compressor or a rotary Sanden? If the latter and it's not compromised you likely don't need a new compressor, just a thorough flush and clean and the correct oil.

Assuming all new parts are required, but your evaporator is okay with a thorough flush;

Sanden Compressor ~$250 ( be wary of Sanden 'style' compressors, that are cheap knockoffs)

Condenser $300

Hose kit $425

Expansion valve $75

Dryer $25

That's ~$1100 in retail parts + maybe $100 of freon, leaving labor at $2300-2800 to cover likely radiator removal for front condenser mount fabrication, hose routing etc. so not inconceivable to spend 25 hours at a shop rate of $100/hr. If the shop has specific experience and can provide successful install references, maybe it's worth the extra $$ for peace of mind. If this is your local A/C shop, I'd stay well away, I've helped fix more Pantera's where people have spent $4K with an unsuccessful result than I'd like to mention and you almost have to start from scratch.

Could you do it cheaper, yes for sure, a couple six packs and a weekend Tech session from your local Pantera friends, the experience and camaraderie  that's priceless!

I can't send this without asking the question everyone has on their minds, why a front mount condenser? Unless you have 180 headers there is no good reason IMO to move to a front condenser and further marginalize an already marginal cooling system. The stock location can be made to successfully work.

Julian

________________________________
I wan to change my AC from R 12 to R 134 and move condenser to front.

This will mean all new hoses, rerouting hoses, new compressor and
condenser, new expansions valve and dryer.

I was quoted $3500 to $4000 for the complete job.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any help
Don

--