[DeTomaso] 11k mile 74 Pantera for sale

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 17 10:07:41 EST 2018

Mike,

As I see it, there's only a thin line between a 'kit car' project and the new regulation; I don't like the term 'kit car' and we should differentiate a true 'kit car' vs. a component vehicle, the latter made up of components specifically manufactured for the car and it being an owner assembly with a set of instructions (e.g. akin tour childhood Meccano set).

A Superformance, Ultima and SLC are all strictly speaking component vehicles, not relying on donor vehicles (albeit for drive train of choice) but under the new law as I read the press articles only Superformance would qualify, because it is a 'replica' and of a vehicle that was produced more than 25 years ago. This new statute thus allows Superformance (and other replica manufacturers) to sell turnkey vehicles up to 325 per year, with the caveat that the engine must meet stricter CARB compliant emissions standards (and currently only the GM LS3 crate engine is CARB compliant with an Execuitve Order). That is not the industry revelation that the bill was first perhaps intended to be, nonetheless you will be able to walk into Superfomance soon and drive that GT40 right off the showroom floor, albeit perhaps only with a Chebbie motor....

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/small-volume-carmakers-get-big-break-motor-vehicle-safety-act

https://www.rcnmag.com/news/low-volume-legislation-encapsulation

I'd be happy for you to do some reading and research and tell me I'm wrong, but as I interpret all the press to date if Mr. Kim wants to build a 'completely new car' and not a GT5S replica he may delayed a decade or two...... but I'm sure it's a good investment if you want to put your money down 😊

Julian