[DeTomaso] NPT Shop says I need inner and out tie rod ends??

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 20:20:27 EDT 2018

> Sure seems like the outer would wear out sooner?

That wasn't the case on my 1987 Mustang GT. I used to go through inner tie
rod ends every 50K miles or so.  The symptom was the car would start to
dart side-to-side, following ruts or ridges in the pavement. Watching the
rack and tie rods while cranking the wheel side-to-side would show slack in
the inner tie rods but not the outers.  I replaced the inner tie rods
several times before I noticed that a rebuilt rack with inner tie rods
already installed was only a few more dollars so I bought a rebult rack.
That turned out to be a mistake as I found that Ford used the same basic
15:1 ratio steering rack on multiple applications with different valving.
Passenger car versions were valved for maximum assist but had little or no
feel.  Only performance applications like the Mustang or Thunderbird Turbo
Coupe got the performance valving.  Unfortunately, the mass market
rebuilders don't really differentiate so you don't know which you're
getting in the box.  The rebuilt unit I got had little feel but I had
alrready turned mine in for the core charge by the time I figured that
out.  Ugh.

Note that for many applications, Moog makes a heavy duty or problem solver
replacement part that's typically greasable.

Dan Jones