[DeTomaso] Which Speedometer Cable

Mike Reilly reillyms at live.com
Sun Apr 22 21:03:21 EDT 2018

Hi all.  I own a 1974 Pantera and my speedo needle was bouncing quite a bit.  I had the original speedo cable and lubed it previously to fix any bouncing but it was time for a new one recently as lubing it failed to work any longer.

I bought one from one of our vendors and installed it using the same routing as my old cable.  The bouncing was now WAY worse and noisy to boot (clicking noise that increased with speed).  It seemed the inner cable was catching and then releasing within the outer sheath.  I pulled the inner cable and it looked pretty dry so I lubed it with white lithium grease.  No improvement.  I then cleaned off all the grease from the inner cable with parts cleaner and also ran parts cleaner down the inside of the outer sheath until it came out clean on the other side.  I noted some metal fragments stuck inside the sheath on the trans end of the sheath opening.  I pulled them our with tweezers (2 small pieces).  I didn’t see any missing metal from the new inner cable.  Anyway, I then lubed the inner cable with dry graphite lubricant and installed it back into the sheath from the speedo side.  I hooked up everything and checked that the routing had nice gentle curves.   The speedo needle still bounced a lot and made a clicking noise.  I disconnected the speedo cable from the speedo end and drove around and still heard the clicking.  I put my hand on the end of the speedo cable and felt it turning but it a jerky motion.   I believe I got a crappy speedo cable.  I didn’t contact the vendor as I don’t think they will take it back after I tried two different lubes on it.  I also don’t think I want the same one in return as it seemed of poor quality.  I’ve bought plenty from them before but really don’t want another one of their speedo cables.

Any recommended speedo cables that folks have found to be of high quality?  I see some vendors have what they call “heavy duty” cables.  I don’t mind paying more for a good product.  Not sure if all the vendors source these from the same place or not.  My speedo seems in good shape (car only has 30K miles) and the angle drive on my transaxle is in great shape.  I also know to get the angle drive nut adjusted in the proper way to get it’s fork fully engaged on the transaxle output drive tab.

Thanks in advance, Mike R.