[DeTomaso] Removable steering wheel options

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 22:54:04 EDT 2018

Options 2 and 4 really don't do much towards a quick release solution they are just hub adapters. Option 4 looks like the collapsible hub with typically 3 legs inside the sleeve that will collapse on chest impact, I would not use that in a racing application. These options still require you to find a hub adapter to wheel quick release and all move the steering wheel closer to the driver by varying amounts.

I recommend you get a quick release that is indexed, i.e. the wheel can only go on in one spot, or believe me you'll spend more time clocking it to correct in the pits than racing.

https://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/the-best-quick-release-hubs/

 The Pantera column is a Ford Capri Mk1 unit with 36 splines and IIRC 9/16" dia. (I can check the dia. on a spare I have) either way it is common size for old British cars and some more modern Mazda's I think. Which might open up your search options, although you'll probably be bombarded with Chinesium brands.

Julian