[DeTomaso] Flash to Pass

Jim Kosloskey jim.kosloskey at jim-kosloskey.com
Wed Oct 11 21:52:10 EDT 2017

Back when I started driving (circa 1960), the hi-beam switch was on the
floor.  I am indicating my age here.

We drove mostly 2 lane roads.

Besides using the hi-beams for the normal function, we would use a double
flash when driving behind a semi. This would alert the truck driver of our
intent to pass. The Semi driver would then turn on his left turn signal
(USA) if it was safe to pass or the right turn signal if it was not. If it
was not safe to pass, then the semi driver would hit the left turn signal
when it was safe.

This was a common courtesy exchanged then.

When driving on 4 lane we hit the headlights for a double flash as a
courtesy and safety signal we were about to pass. Not all cars had turn
signals but even when they did the habit continued along with use of the
lane change signal (at least it did for me and most of my family and
friends).

When the stalk hi-beam control came into being the double flash became
easier.

Rarely was the double flashed to indicate someone was driving too slow.

I still do not use my hi-beams to indicate someone is going too slow. A
consideration I was raised with.

Jim Kosloskey

1974 Pantera L Yellow #6949