[DeTomaso] Kurt Busch Pantera

JFFR pantera at vtc.net
Fri Nov 24 12:46:47 EST 2017

One thing that the NASCAR guys noticed was how the Gas Monkey's were
going to get air into the engine, which appeared to be from above the
trans axle. The NASCAR guys said that that wasn't a good place to pull
air in and thus elected to duct it in from the sides of the deck lid.
Later there is a scene where it shows two air cleaners and what appears
to be sealing surfaces onto the deck lid. Did the NASCAR guys not know
about the Pantera side boundary air layer or did they know that their
design would work and ignored the boundary layer? Since they said that
this Pantera built to go 200 mph, which I doubt it ever got up to much
over 150 mph on that track, they seemed think that their engine inlet
air design would work. Engine power on the Pantera never seemed to be an
issue during the practice or racing. I have and believe that the side
window scoops and sealed air box works, although for some engine
applications the NASCAR deck lid air inlet design might be what some
cars could use.