[DeTomaso] Kurt Busch Pantera

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 25 00:14:50 EST 2017

I just watched both episodes to see what all the fuss was about. It all looked very staged and scripted to me right down to the racing, but what else would you expect from NASCAR guys!

There's a lot of modifications they just don't mention in the effort to get the guys on camera more than the car....

They installed drop floor pans plus cut the front trunk front bulkhead and floor completely out without showing any addition of bracing?

They don't say, but I assume the Aluminator intake manifold can just be reversed to be rear intake? Later the KBI lead said they changed the cams and valve springs in the Aluminator engine to spin it to 8,200 rpm. On the dyno the were at 500 HP at the wheels so assume 625HP at the flywheel. That would be an extra ~45HP from the cam change. Sure would be nice if the parts were listed somewhere!

I see they removed  a lot of the inner rear fenders, presumably for the Holinger to fit. Did anyone else notice when installing the engine and transaxle prior to shipment the monkey lowers a bare ZF case in there? When it arrives in NC it's got the Holinger bolted in.

I cringed when they showed the oil reservoir adjustment and paint repairs!

With EFI I guess any ram air effect isn't a big deal as the MAF/MAP sensor will adjust for the right Air/Fuel ratio, but I assume the ECU mapping would have to compensate for overall fuel charge? That's a lot harder to do with a carb!

Julian