[DeTomaso] Fuel "stabilizer"

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 15:09:09 EDT 2017

Hi all

I took advantage of a recent trip to Denver to hand-carry my carburetor in
my luggage to have Dennis Quella rebuild for me. I hadn't been particularly
happy with how my engine was running, suspected I had a blown power valve at
least, and wanted him to look at it. I'm thrilled because he found it was in
pretty rough shape - when I went to pick it up he asked "did you actually
get the engine to run with this thing installed?" I say that I'm thrilled
because this indicates that it's pretty likely that we found the cause of my
lack of satisfaction with the engine recently...

What he found (among other issues) was that the interior was pretty
comprehensively clogged with sediment, crud, and rust, despite having a fuel
filter installed. Granted, the carb was installed some 17 years ago and
hasn't been touched since, but. He felt that this was caused by letting the
car sit for extended periods of time, something that has unfortunately
happened over the past couple of years. At least twice in the past 18
months, it has sat for 4-5 months without starting the engine..

My first question is if simply starting the engine at a minimum of, say,
once a month in the winter months should be enough to keep things flowing
and keep sediment from forming in the carb? Or does the car need to be
actually driven, sloshing the fuel around pretty good to avoid the sediment
from consolidating?

Second question - I see many ads for "fuel stabilizer", with the focus being
on protecting the gasoline - keeping it from degradation or breaking down.
Is this its real and only purpose, or does it also help keep the sediment
from settling out and rust from forming? Is there a preferred brand of fuel
stabilizer, or are they all more or less the same thing? Or is this like
asking which brand of motor oil is "best"?

Thank you !