[DeTomaso] Techno question: stock wheel studs

Joseph F. Byrd, Jr. byrdjf at embarqmail.com
Mon May 29 22:49:21 EDT 2017

My THINKING.

The studs should have an interference press in fit to the hub.  The area on
the studs where the press fit occurs is also seriated.  I was thinking the
serrations, sort of like knurling, allows for a less tolerant control of the
dimensions, thus an oversized stud could still be pressed into the hub with
moderate force.

The consequences of pressing in the serrations into the hub causes them to
indent the inside diameter of the hub's fit.  This is a good thing in that
the "keying" HELPS the press fit from letting the stud turn when torquing /
removing.

HOWEVER, I would NOT consider the "keying" by itself to be suffice for
repeated use.   Being a little conservative with things mechanical, I would
NOT use a stud that has lost its press fit (like yours).

IF it should spin, think about how are you going to remove the nut!   Most
cases require the nut to be drilled off.

Joe

If my thoughts are incorrect, I don't mind being put back into my place