[DeTomaso] Stud interferes with reverse?,

MyCars mycars at comcast.net
Sun May 21 01:28:43 EDT 2017

I used to have a similar problem with my ZF. Mine would not stay in 2nd
or third gear, it would slide out of those gears within 10 seconds if I
did not hold the shift lever in place.

In my case, the ZF did not have a detent ball installed. It was a simple
and relatively easy/cheap fix.

On 5/20/2017 5:17 PM, Larry Finch via DeTomaso wrote:
> [...]

ail. Disconnect linkage. Manually engage reverse. Remove selector housing cover.
 With engine off engage reverse, start with clutch in, release clutch. No joy.

Finally, after the wreck someone suggested the reverse gear movement may be phys
ically restricted if one of the studs on the rear cover had been installed too d
eep.

So, in a Hail Mary before returning the transaxle to the vendor that didn't get
it right the first time, I am hoping that backing out that stud may solve the re
verse problem. In the attached photograph I believe the correct stud to back out
 is number 1.

I would appreciate some confirmation that is the correct stud.

And of course, should anyone have any thoughts on what else might be causing rev
erse to pop out under any and all conditions, those thoughts are also most welco

nks above.

Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message p
osted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant
the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of lis
t messages.