[DeTomaso] Slow cranking when hot - frozen mechanical advance?

Mike & Elizabeth Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 21:08:50 EDT 2017

If you have an MSD distributor, like an 8350 Ready to Run, and it hasn't
been rebuilt for a while, there is a good change the mechanical advance is
not working because the shaft has frozen up.  I had this problem on 6328 for
3 years: swapped started, checked battery and and all the chassis grounds,
no joy.  When our local electrical guru, Doug Braun, was helping me check
the dizzy, he realized the mechanical advance was frozen.

If you have an MSD, it's an easy check: pop the cap off of your dizzy and
try to twist the rotor.  It should move about a 1/4", then snap back on the
springs.  If it doesn't move, then you mechanical advance is not working,
and you're trying to start a hot car at 30+ degrees BTDC.

You'll have to pull the dizzy, drive out both roll pins, and completely
disassemble the shaft (much simpler than it sounds).  You may have to
acutally tap the shaft out of the outer shaft.  Clean both up with some 000
steel wool and Silglide, reassemble with DOUBLE roll pins (be sure they are
not spiral wound roll pins), install and tune.  If you index everything when
you take the dizzy out, you should be able to get it back in pretty close to
the starting point.  Then reset your timing and you should be good to go.

If you don't have an MSD, I would think the check for the mechanical advance
would be similar.

If the mech advance seems to be working, never mind . . .

Hope that helps
Mike Thomas
Pres., Panteras Northwest
206-795-3302