[DeTomaso] Rest of the Cannonball story

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 14:30:17 EST 2017

Remember part 1 of the Cannonball write up that said that a Pantera GTS and Mangusta were filmed for the movie.  Well we know they did not make the final cut but now here's the rest of the story.

Ferrari was represented very well at the movie location with some really beautiful still-shot cars. There was a wonderful fly-yellow 275 GTB long nose 4 cam with a most stylish Ferrari 250 SWB and the Queen Mother Ferrari 365GT 2+2 as well. As luck would have it, these beautiful pieces did not participate in the action like the Pantera, Mangusta and the 246 GTS Dino. As with many feature films some of the action ends up on the cutting room floor. The Lamborghini was the star of the film and anything that detracted from that visual experience was extracted from the film sequence.

The article makes another mention of the Pantera;

This movie was an absolute blast to do. We raced the cars down the highways at insane speeds protected by the boys in blue. The stunt drivers desperately wanted to try out the built-up De Tomaso Pantera GTS and I agreed that would be great fun. These guys gave that De Tomaso hell and they just loved it as much as we did.

Whole article is here:  http://www.velocetoday.com/the-making-of-the-cannonball-run-part-3/