[DeTomaso] Question about installing Dodge Colt mirrors on #2163

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 23 03:08:30 EDT 2017

When I attached our manual Omni remote-adjust mirrors, I made a triangular stand-off block of wood from a 2x6 board, shaped to fit the window on one side and the mirror on the other. This essentially duplicates that metal plate you mentioned. To make the fit of my stand-offs perfect, I coated the window side of the block with a thin layer of Bondo and covered it with waxed paper, held against the window until it set up.  The triangular stand-off needs to be a different shape for drivers and passenger sides in order to see cars behind.  I couldn't get comfortable drilling the OEM glass so I replaced the glass with lexan plastic and drilled screw holes clear thru everything into the plastic mirror mounts to securely hold things without glue. Been trouble free up to 150 mph and 20 years now. The mirror cable adjustments accommodate my 5'3" wife and my own 6'2" body without opening the windows. Occasionally, I recolor the visible edges of the wood stand-offs with flat black spray paint, or a Sharpie pen. There's a Newsletter article detailing all this on the POCA website. Good luck- JDeryke