[DeTomaso] Question about installing Dodge Colt mirrors on #2163

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 11:45:00 EDT 2017

I've had the Omni mirrors and thought they worked great. Side mirrors are
not to show you what is behind you but what's next to you in the other
lane's blind spot. When adjusted that way they work just fine. Remember
what you learned in drivers school, bend you head over to the door glass
and set the mirror so you can see the left edge of the car. Then when you
are centered in the seat, you see your blind spot.

Jeff
6559

-------------- next part --------------
[...]

     the drivers door.A  I thought I would see how that looked and
     perhaps add a
     second original side mirror to the passenger door.
     I don't know if it is just me being 6'3" .. but the original mirror
     in the
     stock location was practically useless, plus it didn't look that
     good
     (to me) anyway.
     I recently saw a picture of a Pantera that I understand has a set of
     1979-1983 Dodge Colt mirrors.A  I liked the looks so I've been
     scrounging for
     a set.
     Today I found one for the drivers side at a salvage yard.A  After
     bringing it
     home and placing it in the approximate location against the vent
     window
     glass
     I'm a little confused about how to attach it.A  On the Dodge Colt
     donor car
     there was a bracket that attached to the door (could be glued to the
     vent
     glass
     in my case) and the mirror and case just snapped in place and was
     locked
     there by a screw on the bottom side.
     The issue is .. if I do it that way there will be a gap of
     approximately

   1/16" plus the chrome edge of the attachment bracket that shows at the
   top.
   My thinking is to just eliminate the bracket and smooth the backside of
   the
   mirror housing where it meets the vent glass, Then use adhesive to
   attach it
   directly.
   Could someone who has done this mirror conversion suggest the best
   approach
   ?A  I've attached a couple of photos.
   Thanks,
   Ed