[DeTomaso] Some FIA Group 3 brake questions - circa 1973

Larry - Ohio Time Larry at OhioTimeCorp.com
Mon Apr 17 18:08:51 EDT 2017

Steve the only things you did wrong was not to post sooner and not to post photos of your race. :-)

Welcome

Larry - Cleveland

-----Original Message-----
From: DeTomaso [mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com] On Behalf Of Steve Lisa
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 5:59 PM
To: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] Some FIA Group 3 brake questions - circa 1973

This is my first post, so I hope I get it right.  Let me know if I broke
etiquette.

So, we confirmed this weekend running in the Oregon SCCA Vintage group at
PIR, that the original Pantera brakes are indeed lacking.  Aside from brake
issues, Asa Jay's old car ran well.

The issue is that I am required to run the stock front and rear calipers if
I want the car to be "dated" under the FIA Group 3 rules as of "1973."  As
best I can tell (and maybe I am wrong), the "big" calipers were not
approved in Group 3 until 1974.  However, it also appears, as best I can
tell, that the 1973 FIA Group 3 rules allowed vented front and rear rotors
in place of the original non-vented rotors.  Unfortunately, slotted rotors
are not allowed.

I happily just bought two sets of Mike Drew's recently sourced
vented/slotted rotors, which I will run on the front for now.  Except for
snooty events, there will be no issues doing so.  But, I have a few
questions for the experts here about some longer term concerns:

   1. I eventually need to find vented but non-slotted front and rear
   rotors for the Pantera, as close as possible to what was run in the FIA
   Group 3 in 1973.  Any ideas on where to find vented front and rear rotors
   that are equivalent to the 1973 FIA Group s rotors?
   2. I would like something improved in place of the stock rear rotors
   while I am sourcing the proper vented rotors circa 1973.  Any ideas?
   3. What are the best race front and rear pads to run in the original
   calipers, and where do we get them?  I am guessing Porterfield?

Also, I want to again thank all those that tried to help us out last
weekend when the Booster failed.

Regards,

​teve Lisa​

SN 5533