[DeTomaso] Data for K&N filters

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 15:50:35 EST 2016

Years ago I recall reading a magazine dyno test (Hot Rod? Car Craft? or one of those) of a typical round K&N filter against a comparable paper filter, but I can't find it online.  I recall they found the K&N didn't provide any additional horsepower against a stock filter when new, however after a limited time/miles (simulated by adding dust to the filters on the dyno) they found the K&N provided a horsepower increase over the paper filters as their flow capacity was greatly reduced pretty quickly as they began to collect dirt. But, they also provided more protection for your engine!  Again, this is just from memory, and I have no interest in promoting K&N. I do have a K&N filter on my Pantera and have thought about just stocking up on inexpensive paper filters and changing them more regularly as the K&N it seems to get dirty quite quickly and it's a PITA to clean.

Here are some other resources:http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm - Yes, this is K&N's website, but there are some links to other resources (which are favorable toward K&N of course)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm - Bob is the oil guy filter test results - a good read.

I couldn't find any other resources online worth reading other than Dan's post from David Vizard's book "How to Build Horsepower" (Thanks for the link Julian).https://books.google.es/books?id=OAw1GDB0kN0C&printsec=frontcover&hl=es#v=onepage&q&f=false

Everything else online is just miscellaneous drivel on other car forums with people arguing back and forth.

Cheers!
Garth