[DeTomaso] Copyright law

j g notstock at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 11:20:44 EDT 2016

ALLJust for what  it's worth. There is case law showing that digitization of copy writed  material is by itself not illegal. That ; that applies to part or whole documents . Case law states that unless the material is used in it's entirety in only some limited cases of commercial  gain does the copy write apply. Any use of the material for research, private usage , and in some cases like song or speech/ book parodies can be used entirely under the free use clause even of for commercial purposes .  ( the original artist or author must some how be given credit or is obvious) The requirements for digitization to allow search engines or;  like this list to make available to persons in the pursuit of knowledge and or restoration projects has fully been determined by the supreme court under case law to be legal under fair use. Next any site such as this site that is open to individuals posting their opinions, their information whether new , unique or rehashed copy writed material  because of the intent and purpose of this site is not for economic gain but educational and social use , That is enough to make the posting of information  be fair use. Next , what one may not understand is that after a 12 year period all documents associated with production of  equipment (almost all kinds)  has to be made available to after market and anyone requesting them from the original company to allow maintenance of obsoleted materials.I personally have gotten the original engineering documents  for Corvair parts even parts that were not ever put into production ( GM engineering doc) for ring and pinion parts to reverse the  rotation of the manual transaxle for mid engine applications to prevent pinion failure operating always in coast . next I have also gotten complete casting drawings from for Ford For their duratec V6 Lincoln ls cylinder heads on a request for motorsports support. ( best to know what the design casting wall locations and thicknesses are supposed to be rather than cut up too many expensive heads. ) . All were sent with the notation of released under FAIR USE of the patent and copy write laws .
Posting of any material not specifically applied for copy write or poors mans copy write ( copy of material sealed in a certified mail and mailed to one's self)   has been determined to not be explicitly covered under copy write and is fair use every time.
These are not  legal opinions but restating of information contained in the public record of the fair use doctrine with regards to copy write. Just remember all your book reports and any papers you wrote in college , you were allowed to use both verbatim as well as reworded information not your own creation by placing sub-notations or direct reference  giving credit  to the original source or you source and author . So free use is not a new concept it has been around  for quite some time.
John Garcia